Monday, January 25, 2021

Thankful...

Less often do I realize I am gifted with blessings in disguise - the normal me sees the ordinary, everyday things, and do complain. So, when that moment happens, let me write them down, recollect them with thanks, instead of forgetting them as days go...

It would be Chinese New Year in a couple of weeks. Last year, about that time, I took an Uber from work to home one afternoon. The driver chatted endlessly, not the one who would slow down if the passenger responded with a plain "Yes/No". But he was quite earnest and  frank in expressing his opinions, that I joined the conversation slowly. What striked me was him mentioning that his family in Wuhan is protecting themselves from the many who were getting sick and hospitalized in mass. "It is a sad New Year this time. No one is gathering over the festival season, don't know clearly what started it in that damn market. Sad!". His wife and he were celebrating quietly in their place with their land lady, and some friends. I had heard about the new virus and its side effects cropping up with quite some speed.

Our offices added precautions, like having more soaps and hand sanitizers all round the place, more cleaning, encouraging sick folks to stay at home, and stopping all travel without an executive approval. We were checking around for procedures and precautions for my in laws to reach India safely.

The Lockdown in Bay Area started some time on 10th or 12th of March in most of Bay Area, a Friday. The only thing that striked disappointing at that time was that the OOTM contest, that Vyas and his friends were preparing for the last 6 months, was getting cancelled on Saturday, instead of being pushed out. 

A lot of things have changed since then this 10 months. The virus, which was once happening out in the news, soon started affecting our own circles of close friends and family, most of who rode the wave, and some who sadly succumbed to it; kids- home/remote schooled; online ordering other than in Amazon became a thing; office work done seamlessly from home; some job losses to known or unknown; all classes turned online (well, except sports), venturing out became minimal, casual/planned get-togethers became a premium, going to a restaurant or vacation with the family became a thing of the past; worrying about the safety of parents, in-laws, and loved ones increased than ever. Many more, but also, there is a list of things which have indeed been a blessing in disguise, which I thank God everyday for (I sincerely hope I don't jinx it).

* Commute is minimal (grocery, once a month 🤔, maybe) compared to the 3 hours on the bus every day, and countless trips Ubering the kids to classes (I used to secretly pray for a break from commute, though Sai took the kids out to most places); time, effort and money saved.

* Have always wished I could cook lunch for my family on normal days, other than on weekends. Now I do. Also learnt new foods I dare not try in the past (at least half like it, usually :-P), other tips and tricks that work for me, along the way. This also has helped me be more mindful of the needs of individuals in the family, rather than doing what I think is right from my perspective. Not at all easy, but the understanding makes a big difference.  

* Kids' social life - friends, peers, teachers, others - that is a big worry since the lockdown definitely has effects on their personality, I can see in some forms of stress and anxiety, and the increased use of screen time.  But, they are home, around us, we help them ride the wave, spend more time together as a family, which is what we all remember in the long run. Plenty of takeaways for us, and hopefully for them too.  Also, an opportunity for the mom to develop more patience with the kids.

* I complain enough that it was the toughest year at work; no transition between work to personal life or vv, rather an integration of both worlds; work does consume any available time, round the clock, but also keeps me focused.  Despite everything, this was the first time I led the phone launch from parts service operations side - it was stressful, but successful and satisfying overall, propelling me to the recognition I've been working towards; the entire team's morale is boosted by the launch, first ever to happen without any face to face interaction or travel.

* On the personal front, I can be chatty on social media, but I hardly lift the phone to talk, unless its a meeting, or something to do with the kids. Something just pulls me down. Calling my parents/in-laws once in a week (or more), or chatting with my sisters once a fortnight was me. Thankfully they would call if I didn't and I didn't become a total moron. We do more of FaceTime or WhatsApp group calls nowadays making me wonder, why didn't I do it sooner? With friends, it improved from wishing my best friend once a year on her birthday, to maybe a couple more times 😁;  other close friends, its statuesque  :). From being an awkward joiner on class calls, I  improved to host some, and keep up the momentum even if the call had just 3 folks, a little better than just observing the call...

* I practice my music lessons while cooking, when I have time, and whenever the kids aren't having any lesson (Sai has got used to switching on the Coffitivity app when I start it ;) - nowadays the kids wear a headphone as well, but Im good ;) )

* Always, I would paint in any little time I get - in narrow spaces, with a brush pen, small notebook, when outside. I still do, but being home, I am not constrained by space. I use all relevant tools, and almost always paint large these days. I have explored more genre, and in the same time I have available as previously, this time Ive painted better, with more details. 

* I realize, at quite random times, I do get sensitive in some of my interactions. Maybe the lockdown effect - brings the best in us, and the worst in us. But more than ever, I do see myself reflecting on those with a balanced head than before.  Everyone has a unique personality making them what they are; independent, with their own value systems; having pre-conceived notions and expectations on them would merely be a projection of me, rather than a display of their authentic self; they too accept me with all my flaws, in their own way; no one conforms to a text book; that thought feels liberating and keeps me going happily, with a hope to fine tune my ever-growing maturity 🙄😁.

With Thanks to all good people and things, for making life beautiful...






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home